In the interest of trying to make things interesting for the girls, I decided to get a little creative with their lunch today. Yes, they were still going to get Mac N Cheese and fish sticks, but at least it’ll be a little more fun yes? Yes!
I prefer to make my things from scratch… that way I know what is going into my children. Here is the recipe I used!
Beth’s Macaroni Cheese
1/2 pound of elbow macaroni
1 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter
2 tbsp of all purpose flour
1 cup of whole milk
1 1/2 cup of grated cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, bring salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Then drain it completely and set aside.
2. In a smaller saucepan, melt the butter. Once it’s melted, whisk in the flour and let cook for 5 minutes, whisking all the time.
3. Once the time is done, slowly add the milk a quarter cup at a time and mix in completely before adding the next.
4. Add the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. At this point you keep stirring so nothing sticks, if it looks a little thick, add a little more milk til you get your desired consistancy.
5. Once the sauce is done, mix the sauce and macaroni together. Voila! Done!
Okay now onto the cup version.
You will need this stuff in addition to the stuff above:
Softened unsalted butter
Using some softened butter, paint the inside of a 12 hole cup cake pan with butter and then sprinking in some parmesan cheese in each hole. Then shake the pan around gently to coat the cups in the cheese. Spoon the mac n cheese into the cups to the top and then top with some more parmesan. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until the tops are brown. You take them out of the pan with a spoon. They are awesome! 🙂